Perhaps we’ll never nail them all down, but here’s some research that identified six facets of individual creativity:
The research showed that the test used could predict a person’s ability to come up with new solutions, collaborate with others, sell and communicate ideas to others and think creatively under stress.
The top six variables that emerged were:
- Openness to Experience – The inclination to seek out and appreciate new experiences and have a high level of curiosity
- Creative Self Efficacy – Basically if you believe you are creative you are more likely to be creative
- Resilience – The ability to bounce back from tough situations (my own experience in the world of innovation would support this)
- Confidence in Intuition – Ability to trust your gut feel.
- Tolerance of Ambiguity – Dealing in the murky world of uncertainty and incomplete information where the path to the solution is not very clear
- Cross Application of Experience – The ability to connect the seemingly unrelated dots from across your life experience to solve problems at work.
Read more about this research over at Deloitte.Digital.